Friday, July 12, 2013

Threads Vs Strings

A thread is a strong material that holds fabric together and makes things look nice. A string is something you cut off because it isn't serving a purpose other than providing the illusion of security.

All my past dates and relationships have trained me to expect disaster. I think over the years, I may have been changing and lowering my expectations for fear that I was expecting too much. That evolved into accepting a lot of things that I shouldn't have accepted.

Now, over the past 6 months I have been working on improving myself from the inside out, to be healthier and happier. It started with letting go of negative people that hindered my progress. Then, stopped sacrificing all I had to play a martyr in other people's lives. Then, because I couldn't figure out why my relationships weren't working...I made a vow to myself that I wouldn't get into another one until I met someone that I couldn't NOT be in a relationship with.

This attitude brought about...contentment in a way that some people could not understand. I was okay being alone, ecstatic if anyone wanted to spend time with me (as a friend or whatever), and found myself looking for less things outside of me.

The relationship I'm in now doesn't define that contentment and happiness. It just enhances it. I would be sad if it didn't work out, but would not be devastated to the point of self-destruction. He encourages this new path I am on...to enjoy life, stop worrying and stop being afraid.

I was diagnosed (unofficially) with Reactive Attachment Disorder. I think I may have come close to overcoming it.

No comments:

Post a Comment